I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

John Prine Tells the Story

I was just listening to the new John Prine album while working, and suddenly the folk singer reached right through the speakers and grabbed my brain. The lyrics are from the song "Some Humans Ain't Human" off of the album, "Fair and Square."
Have you ever noticed
When you're feeling really good
There's always a pigeon
That'll come shit on your hood

Or you're feeling your freedom
And the world's off your back
Some cowboy from Texas
Starts his own war in Iraq

Some humans ain't human
Some people ain't kind
They lie through their teeth
With their head up their behind
You open up their hearts
And here's what you'll find
Some humans ain't human
Some people ain't kind
Sing it, John. Sing it. If you're not familiar with Prine, he has a history of incredible folk music going back well over three decates. His new album is a very nice introduction to the man's style for any potential new fans, but his early stuff was simply incredible, though quite dark.

Disclosure: I get no money from John Prine or his production company. I'm just a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice