I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Friday, April 15, 2005

How stupid would I look on a Vespa?

I'm considering putting my money where my mouth is and getting a Vespa scooter. Our primary vehicle is an SUV. I know that many progressives are openly hostile to people who drive SUVs, but the fact is, we need one. There is simply too much camping and travel, given our hobbies, where we have to haul huge amounts of stuff which simply wouldn't fit in your average car trunk, and certainly not in some tiny hybrid. Hell, we even had to have a trailer hitch added to ours. It's also very handy for large scale grocery and Home Depot trips.

The majority of the time, however, it just sits there in the driveway. My wife works at home, and I walk to work when I'm not telecommuting also. The only time I feel a twinge of guilt is for those little, "short trips." It might be running to the video store or the quickie mart, something like that. Or even to take a trip to a local fishing hole. Riding in the SUV for things like that seems wasteful, and with gas prices continuing to rise, it's not cheap. Vespas can get up in the 70 to 100 miles per gallon range, depending on usage.

Some day the oil IS going to run out. Maybe not in my lifetime, but by the time your grandchildren are getting ready to retire, it will effectively be gone. These things are on my mind as I consider becoming a Vespa person. Yes, I will have to deal with the smirking stares of "conservatives" who will immediately question my sexual orientation. (Bothers me not a bit.) And of course the possibility of bikers on Harleys deciding to use me for target practice. (That would bother me a LOT more.) But all in all, I really can't see any other serious downside and it seems like the right thing to do.

What do you think? Should I just get an pink, Italian silk shirt and just start saying, "Ciao" to everyone I meet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice