I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Fixing the Primary System

Over at Open Left today, I have a post up about how to address all of the procedural and technical problems which exist in the two party primary system today. The patchwork of rules and methodologies leave the system open to a number of significant problems and have the potential of producing results which are, frankly, undemocratic. The key points I touch on are:
  • Eliminate the caucus system entirely
  • Eliminate non-binding straw polls
  • Eliminate the super delegates
  • Severely restrict the window for early ballots
  • Standardize all primaries as either open or closed
  • Standardize primaries as proportional or winner take all
This is a new effort for me, in terms of opening up a diary / blog on Open Left, but please feel free to check it out.