BAGHDAD, Iraq - A suicide bomber unleashed a blast in a Baghdad fish market Tuesday and two Shiite families were found slain north of the capital as violence across Iraq claimed at least 52 lives.The Republican plan was to direct attention away from the cluster fuck in Iraq but I don't think Foleygate is what they had in mind. The might have been better off if Iraq and Woodward's book continued on the front page. Or maybe not, the CNN poll today shows that Iraq is not something they can run on.
The U.S. military, meanwhile, announced the deaths of nine soldiers and two Marines in what has been a deadly period for American forces in Iraq. The announcement brought to at least 15 the number of service members killed in fighting since Saturday.
- For starters Bush overall approval is below 40% again; approve 39%, disapprove 59%. And the Iraq numbers are even worse.
- Nearly two thirds disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the situation in Iraq.
- Sixty one percent disapprove of the Iraq war.
- Fifty seven percent think the Iraq war has made the US less safe.
- And finally fifty eight percent think George W. Bush deliberately misled the American people about Iraq.