I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Who has his head in the sand now?

Sam Harris, that's who!
He just doesn't get it. In Head-in-the-Sand Liberals he says the following:
But my correspondence with liberals has convinced me that liberalism has grown dangerously out of touch with the realities of our world — specifically with what devout Muslims actually believe about the West, about paradise and about the ultimate ascendance of their faith.

On questions of national security, I am now as wary of my fellow liberals as I am of the religious demagogues on the Christian right.

This may seem like frank acquiescence to the charge that "liberals are soft on terrorism." It is, and they are.
I don't know of any of my "liberal" friends who don't see the threat of Islamic terrorism. But we don't have our "heads in the sand" when we question the methods used to fight it. We don't have our "heads in the sand" when we question the reasons given for it's rise. The spark of the Islamic jihad may in some way be religion but the fuel that keeps it going is economics. We have seen this play out over the entire history of Israel. The Israeli policies in the region of destroying the infrastructure and economies of the Palestinian areas has only fueled the fire. People without jobs or hope become fodder for the terrorists. The same can be said for the neocons "Global War on Terror. The mass destruction and killing has only fueled the jihad and making the western world less safe. The inflammatory statements by the Radical Christian crusaders also adds fuel to the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice