I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

What's wrong you ask?

A twenty six year old has some of the answers. I suggest you go read it all but since we talk about the press here so often I'm going to give you one paragraph.
I took a university news course for my Telecommunications, Radio/TV production degree. This course was taught by former ABC anchor Steve Bell, around the time of the 2004 election. Discussion of real issues beyond our weekly assignments NEVER happened, unless Mr. Bell repeatedly sparked further discussion. Even then, 90% of the room was silent. None of these 'future journalists' had any interest or curiosity about current events- they just wanted a passing grade and to get out of class at or before noon. Days after Bush had stolen the election, I was the only one to bring up that there were numerous irregularities in Ohio. This was met by rolled eyes and whispers of "Here we go again." Mr. Bell assured me and the class that those were just "underground" conspiracy theories. He said with utter certainty that if a story like that had any credence, media outlets like ABC and NBC could be counted on to tell the real story. He had somewhat of a respect for public radio, but thought of it as too left-leaning. Most of the students had never heard of public radio, and didn't care to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice