I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Nothing to see here... move along

So apparently we're no longer going to be investigating Bush's illegal warrantless wiretapping program. Why? Because the government says we can't. Personally, I have to applaud the brief summary of this story put forth by Fark.com.
Congress: Let's investigate the NSA's spying program.

NSA: Die in a fire.

Congress: Ok, that's fine, then, nothing to see here
It's apparently not far off from the truth.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The government has abruptly ended an inquiry into the warrantless eavesdropping program because the National Security Agency refused to grant Justice Department lawyers security clearance.

The Justice Department's Office of Professional Responsibility, or OPR, sent a fax Wednesday to Democratic Rep. Maurice Hinchey of New York saying it was closing its inquiry because without clearance it could not examine department lawyers' role in the program.

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't even know what to say to that one. I'll leave you to fill in the blanks. Congress doesn't have the authority to decide what Executive Branch activities it will investigate?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice