I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

White Rabbit, a rant

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all
Go ask Alice
When she's ten feet tall

And if you go chasing rabbits
And you know you're going to fall
Tell'em a hookah smoking caterpillar
Has given you the call
Call Alice
When she was just small

When men on the chessboard
get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom
And your mind is moving slow
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head
Remember what the doormouse said:
"Feed your Head
Feed your Head!"
~Jefferson Airplane

As an aging hippy I bought into the above in the 60's and 70's. Well guess what, many still do but since major corporations make a great deal of money on the pills it's OK. So what brought on this rant you ask? The answer is my 83 year old mother and her doctor. My mother is very healthy an active for an 83 year old. She looks 10 or 15 years younger than her 83 years. She takes a pill for high blood pressure and Lipitor for cholesterol. When she went to her regular doctors appointment in January her doctor told her he was going to double her Lipitor dosage because with the new Medicare Drug plan she could afford it. This struck me as odd since my mother is not poor and not really having in difficulty paying for her drugs before. When I mentioned that my mother exercised and ate well and gave examples her doctor informed me that diet and exercise had little effect. My mother did double her Lipitor dose and immediately had complications. I told her to return to the old dosage and she improved. Last week she had her annual physical. Yesterday her doctors office called and said that the doctor was giving her an additional anti-cholesterol medication. Today we received her test results and her cholesterol levels were actually lower than last year's. I called the doctors office and informed him that my mother was not going to take the additional drug. I have not heard back from the office.

Another pill was not the answer in 1969, another pill is not the answer now.

Fuck Merck, "where patients come first".......my ass!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice