I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Friday, November 25, 2005

Revenge of the Freegans

No, that wasn't a typo. I meant to write "freegans" in the title.

Look, I try to be tolerant of everyone's beliefs and lifestyles, even when it comes to the various camps of human diet choices. Personally, I'm in the steak and potatoes crowd because I'm an omnivore. A quick look at my dental x-rays confirms this - I have sharp incisors and canines for cutting meat, and grinding molars in the back for processing vegetable matter. Similar studies of creatures ranging from cows to lions will give you a good clue what they are designed to eat.

But I understand that other people make other choices. Vegetarians, vegans, free range enthusiasts... they are all free to dine as they see fit and I wish them well. However, even I might have to draw the line when it comes to the freegans.
That's Not Trash, It's Dinner

Dinner shared by a group of friends at a well-appointed Greenwich Village apartment featured eggplant Parmesan with a salad of mixed greens and avocado dressing. The guests already had snacked on hors d'oeuvres of smoked mozzarella and crackers.

Not bad considering the diners find their food by digging through garbage. They call themselves "freegans," a play on the words "free" and "vegan" -— vegetarians who avoid all animal products, including dairy. In an ideological rejection of consumer waste, they only eat food that's been discarded. And in New York, at least, they never go hungry.

Ok. Right up front, let me say, "I get it." I see your point, and it's a valid one. Americans are, by and large, a terribly wasteful society and we do no credit to our environment or our supplies of natural resources with our shameful ways. I'm culpable as well, I have no doubt, and I seriously do feel guilty about it. But eating only food that you find in dumpsters or on the streets? You're certainly making a point, but... I'm sensing some elements of risk here that may take us at least one small step over the line from "protesting activist" to "self-endangering loon."

TheSeattlee Times apparently took this into consideration and interviewed at least one doctor who finds their practices to be "ok" but has some warnings.
While images of sorting rubbish for food may churn a few stomachs, some doctors condone the practice. Dr. Michael Greger, director of public health and animal agriculture at the Humane Society of the United States, says unopened packaged foods normally can be eaten safely for days after sell-by dates have passed. But he warns freegans to stay away from meat and seafood, eggs, dairy, sprouts, cut melon and unpasteurized cider or juice, which can be susceptible to bacteria. Mold can be trimmed from "hard or firm foods," he says, but even the brave should stay away from bulging or oozing cans.
Hold on. The Humane Society for the United States? I used to work for them, and don't get me wrong - I love the organization dearly. But all the doctors I know who were associated with them were veterinarians. I can't find anything on a quick search regarding Dr. Greger and what type of doctor he is, but we might want to check into that before regarding that statement as the final professional line regarding dumpster diving as a way of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice