I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Sarah's handshake nightmare

If like me you listen to This American Life on NPR you are familiar with the witty social observations of Sarah Vowell. Well lucky us, Maureen Dowd is on book leave so we get Sarah in her place. Today she tells us about her handshake nightmare, which includes Pat Robertson, in A Pat on the Back. Here is a teaser but go read the rest.
Since I have been hired, temporarily, to write about the news, here's some: seeing Pat Robertson on television cheered me up. Until recently, about the nicest thing I would have said about this televangelist is that he isn't boring. Remember when he wanted to boycott the "Satanic ritual" that is Halloween? Or when he said, "The husband is the head of the wife"? Or when he warned the city of Orlando that the flying of homosexuals' upbeat rainbow flags might incite divine retribution in the form of hurricanes or "possibly a meteor"? Yep, good times.
I'm going to enjoy the NYT while Mo-Do is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice