I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Sunday, January 30, 2005

The nerve of these people

I have been paying into the Social Security system for over 50 years, paying in my money. Now I have investment brokers, who are the only ones who have anything to gain from privitization, tell me so what. In today's NYT one of those investment brokers, Steven Rattner, tells me that money really doesn't exist, it's just paper, an IOU.
That would have been less daunting had we saved the very substantial Social Security surpluses of the past two decades. Instead, we mostly spent them, particularly in the past four years, leaving behind a much-touted Social Security trust fund that is, in reality, a myth.

All that resides in the trust fund is a $1.5 trillion pile of IOUs from the federal government, obligations likely to be honored by increasing the national debt. In addition, according to the trustees, we would have to deposit an additional $3.7 trillion into the trust fund today to ensure solvency until 2078. Is that a crisis or just a problem?
I wonder how the Chinese, Japanese and Europeans who have been buying treasury bonds feel when they hear that their bonds are just myths, IOU's. Yes it's the same thing, that's my money that Bush has been giving away to his wealthy patrons while spending billions on a war that was wrong. There is a crisis alright but it's not Social Security but the totally irresponsible policy of the George W. Bush administration. I'm sure that Mr Rattner has pocketed some of my FICIA money in the last three years and now he not only doesn't want to pay it back he wants to get his hand even deeper into my pocket. Not gonna happen a$$hole!!!

Note
Other posts on Social Security can be found Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice