I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I'm The Conservative

Labels are always misleading and dangerous. The cabal currently in charge of the Republican Party proudly wears the conservative label. As a progressive I think that I am the conservative not the Republican Party today. I think a better label for the Bush republicans would be "regressives". They in effect want to return the United States to the 17th century social and economic conditions that existed in England, conditions that were rejected in the United States in the very beginning. They want the United States to be ruled by the cruel tyranny of the Old Testament. Something they have in common with the Radical Islamic cultures we are supposed to abhor. They want to have an economic system that resembles the feudal system of England; like the tyrannical mythology of the Old Testament, something the founding fathers of this nation were trying to escape. That is what the "ownership society" is all about, two or three percent owning everything. Also referred to as Social Darwinism is some circles.

I am the conservative. I want to conserve the accomplishments of the New Deal that made this country a place where many could reap the benefits of the country's economic strength. That certainly includes the Social Security System, the most efficient retirement security program in the world. I want to conserve our secular government where everyone is free to worship or not worship as they please and their lives are not dictated by one set of religious beliefs. I want to conserve an education system where students can learn the latest that science has to offer. I want to conserve the planet, the only one we are ever likely to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice