I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

14 issues, 2 candidates

Jeff Jarvis gives his opinion on 14 issues to consider in the presidential election. An Eisenhower Republican, Jazz at Running Scared gave his opinion. I find that I am in agreement with Jazz on most issues which isn't too surprising since I have been dreaming about having Dwight D. Eisenhower as a choice this year. Here are my thoughts:

  • Judicial Appointments: I'll just quote Jazz, couldn't say it better."Largest reason to not elect Bush. The court is already far too conservative. Nod to Kerry.

  • The Deficit: This used to be a Republican issue but Clinton and Bush have flipped the issue. Clinton balanced the budget and Bush blew it out of the water with tax cuts that didn't stimulate and an expensive war that we didn't need. Once again I agree with Jazz, Nod to Kerry.

  • Gay Rights: Once again I'll just quote Jazz. "I'm angry that we even have to discuss it. How about "same rights for everyone, period?" Nod to Kerry.".

  • The Death Penalty: Jazz and I disagree on this one, I'm 100% opposed to the death penalty. There has been no evidence that it's a deterrent, it can't be fair so innocents will inevitably die. It is nothing but revenge. Nod to Kerry(I might make an exception for Karl Rove)

  • Freedom of Speech:Jazz and I agree on this one too. With people like Ashcroft in the Bush administration this is pretty much a no brainer, Nod to Kerry.

  • Abortion Rights: This has always been a tough one for me. The eastern religions think that you are not a human until the "spirit" enters you when you take your first breath. I believe in a "Right to Choose" but think that everything should be done to discourage it. See supreme court above, like jazz, nod to Kerry. A side note; abortion is often an economic decision and the number of abortion has increased under the Bush administration.

  • Stem Cell Research: I'll just quote Jazz again:"All stem cells, all the time. Go through the trash cans of abortion clinics if you have to. HUGE nod to Kerry."

  • Social Security: A big problem with no easy solution. Privitzation is a really bad idea though so for that reason Nod to Kerry. Jazz was neutral on this one.

  • Immigration: I agree with Jazz on this issue but not his nod to Bush."Close the damned borders. Stop talking about giving licenses and voting privileges to illegal aliens. They're called "illegal" for a reason. Not everyone has an automatic right to live here. Bring something of value to the table and make an effort if you want to be a citizen. Nod to Bush." I'm neutral on this one.

  • Israel: This is a problem without a solution. Jazz gave the Nod to Kerry, I'm neutral on this one too.

  • Trade: I agree with Jazz on this one, they're both full of sh*t.

  • Gun Control I think honest people should be able to own guns, but as Jazz says not "Weapons of War". I don't have a problem with registration although I'm not really sure it will do much good. I think Jazz and I basically agree on this issue but once again disagree on the nod. I give the nod to Kerry.

  • The Environment: Bush has been a disaster for the environment roiling back regulations that date back to Nixon. Huge nod to Kerry

  • The Draft and National Service: If Bush wins re-election it's a done deal, no way around it. If Kerry wins it may still be necessary to straighten out the mess that Bush has made. Jazz is right, "They're both in denial about it."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice