I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Better Late Than Never?

I'm feeling particularly generous this evening, for reasons which escape me, so I'm going to toss some benefit of the doubt to Hillary Clinton when she says that she doesn't want Democrats to vote for John McCain.

Hillary Clinton pleaded for partisan unity on Thursday, urging Democrats not to abandon their party to vote for John McCain if their preferred candidate fails to secure the nomination.

Clinton was asked by a questioner in the audience here what she would tell frustrated Democrats who might consider voting for McCain in the general election out of spite.

“Please think through this decision,” Clinton said, laughing and emphasizing the word “please.”

“I intend to do everything I can to make sure we have a unified Democratic party,” she said. “When this contest is over and we have a nominee, we’re going to close ranks, we’re going to be united.”

Ok. But you know what? I think I'd find this plea a bit more convincing if she had included the phrase "even if Senator Obama is the nominee." Without that, it still has a bit of a tin whistle, hollow sound, as if she might still just be asking for Obama supporters not to abandon her when she wins the nomination.

We shall see. As I've said previously on our radio show, I think the Gallup poll showing that some percentage of supporters from either Clinton or Obama will vote for McCain if their choice doesn't take it is total bunk. We read the same garbage about the Republicans only a month ago, and how - if McCain was the nominee - half of the Republican party would either stay home or vote for Hillary. Sound likely to you?

I didn't think so.