I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Support the Troops - Be critical of Petraeus

The right wingers are enraged that anyone would dare question General Petraeus - they call it "character assassination" and that it proves that critics don't support the troops.
Is it "character assassination" when you point out that General Petraeus wrote what certainly appears to be a very political editorial a few weeks before the election in 2004? Is it "character assassination" to point out that nearly all of the claims he made in that editorial turned out to be wrong? Is it "character assassination" to point out that nearly all of the claims that General Petraeus made about the situation in Iraq now are contradicted by other sources? I don't think so and I think those who question the general are the ones who are supporting the troops.

As I said below I think that the MoveOn ad was on the money although the closing paragraph was a mistake.
Today, before Congress and before the American people, General Petraeus is likely to become General Betray Us.
At the same time as a Vietnam era veteran I have to wonder how many of the troops on the ground would agree with the General Betray Us characterization. I certainly know how we felt about General Westmorland forty years ago.

Ohman cartoon from the Comics Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice