I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Monday, February 12, 2007

Go Chicks

Forgive, sounds good.
Forget, I'm not sure I could.
They say time heals everything,
But I'm still waiting
That pretty well sums up how many of us feel after six years of the evil incompetent Bush/Cheney administration. With the exception of the likes Willie Nelson and Jerry Jeff Walker I have never been much of a country music fan. I heard about the flap created when the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines said she was ashamed that George W. Bush was from Texas. I didn't think too much about it until I heard Not Ready To Make Nice on the "hippie" FM station I have been listening to since the early 70's. It hit a chord - that's the way I feel.
I'm not ready to make nice,
I'm not ready to back down,
I'm still mad as hell
And I don't have time
To go round and round and round
It's too late to make it right
I probably wouldn't if I could
Cause I'm mad as hell
Can't bring myself to do what it is
You think I should
Yes, I am mad as hell and yes, I became a Dixie Chicks fan. It was really nice to see this:
Dixie Chicks Lead Grammys With 5 Awards
The Dixie Chicks completed a defiant comeback on Sunday night, winning five Grammy awards after being shunned by the country music establishment over the group's anti-Bush comments leading up to the Iraq invasion.
The Texas trio won record and song of the year for the no-regrets anthem "Not Ready to Make Nice." They also won best country album _ which was especially ironic considering that the group has said they don't consider themselves country artists anymore.
As Digby said:
I can't help but be reminded of just how lame the vast majority of the so-called liberal entertainment establishment was in the run up to the Iraq war. It wasn't like there weren't millions of people in the streets. Even 23 US Senators voted against the war. But as far as show business was concerned it was pretty much left to three country singers from Texas to take the slings and arrows all by themselves. It was not the industry's finest hour.
Thank you Chicks for saying it for all of us and saying it first. You don't need the flag waving jingoists at Clear Channel you own the hearts of the aging hippies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice