I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Note to anti-war pols: This is how it's done

It's kind of a shame that it takes somebody fresh off the farm - one of our newly minted and not yet even sworn in Democratic Senators, to show the old timers how things are done. Senator-elect Jim Webb (D-VA) showed up for the luncheon reception with President Bush at the White House, but he was apparently in no mood to mince words or play nice. The man has an agenda and he's eager to get down to business. And business apparently does not include cozying up to Bush.

At a recent White House reception for freshman members of Congress, Virginia's newest senator tried to avoid President Bush. Democrat James Webb declined to stand in a presidential receiving line or to have his picture taken with the man he had often criticized on the stump this fall. But it wasn't long before Bush found him.

"How's your boy?" Bush asked, referring to Webb's son, a Marine serving in Iraq.

"I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President," Webb responded, echoing a campaign theme.

"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said coldly, ending the conversation on the State Floor of the East Wing of the White House.

...

"I'm not particularly interested in having a picture of me and George W. Bush on my wall," Webb said in an interview yesterday in which he confirmed the exchange between him and Bush.

Personally, I've had more than my fill of hypocrites and weasels in our higher elected offices. This sort of thing is nothing short of refreshing. For those screaming about a lack of respect, etc. Jim Webb used no abusive or insulting language, nor did he seek to steal the show. He simply chose to avoid the company of somebody he clearly dislikes. One things's for sure... everyone will know exactly what they're going to get with Jim Webb. He's not dancing. He's in a fighting stance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice