I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Friday, April 28, 2006

The Chicken Hawk Meme

Jazz's post below on Captain Ed's post has resulted in some commentary from the right. For starters while I disapprove of the Iraq war and have from the beginning I am not comfortable with the "chicken hawk" meme. I don't feel that you must have served in the military to support a military adventure. That said I think it is a very good description of young Republican war supporters who talk of a just and wonderful cause but are unwilling to put their lives and limbs on the line. I don't think that Captain Ed qualifies.

I also object to constantly being told that since I don't support the war I don't support the troops. I'm sorry, but as I see it the ultimate way to support the troops is to protest when their lives are put on the line in a conflict that is entirely for politics and greed. All but the most delusional now know that Saddam had nothing to do with 911, had no WMD and that the administration was fully aware of that at the time they sold the war. There is a word for that; LIE. I support the troops in the ultimate way by protesting when they are sent to die in a place they shouldn't be for all the wrong reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice