I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Immigration Issue

With the exception of posting Paul Krugman's editorial I haven't talked about the current immigration brouhaha. The reason is simple; I can't really get to excited about it in spite of living in Washington county, Oregon which has a large Hispanic population legal and otherwise. I'll let John Cole explain why for me.
The way I see it, a wall is impractical, not granting amnesty is pointless (does anyone really think we are going to round up all the illegals?), I am not convinced by arguments that illegals are an economic drain or boon (if I had to make an uneducated guess, I would argue it is a wash), and if terrorists want to sneak bombs in, they will find a way that does not involve illegals.
I suspect that nothing is going to happen at all. This is probably best since nothing constructive will happen in an election year anyway. The simple fact of the matter is if you want to stop illegal immigration the only fence you will build will be around the prison where you put the people who hire them. Lock up a few CEO's and the problem will all but disappear overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice