I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Poor Man's Hammer

Poor Tom DeLay. And no... that's not a sudden expression of sympathy brought on by a Tuesday visit to the lobotomist. (Lobotomist?) It's more of a description of Da' Hammer's financial situation. Tipped off by firedoglake, I found myself almost shedding a tear (not) to learn that the Big Man is deeply in debt to the lawyers who are trying to keep him out of the hoosegow.
Embattled U.S. Rep. Tom DeLay raised more money for his legal defense in 2005 than ever before but still owes hundreds of thousands of dollars to lawyers, according to documents released Tuesday.

DeLay, fighting an indictment in Texas on charges of illegal fundraising while facing scrutiny by federal prosecutors in Washington for his ties to convicted lobbyist Jack Abramoff, raised $181,851 between Oct. 1 and the end of the year. That amount brought the total raised for his legal defense fund in 2005 to $590,520 — significantly more than the $439,550 recorded in 2004.

But during 2005, DeLay's legal expenses topped $1 million, said Brent Perry, a Houston attorney who administers the fund.

You know, I've been fairly fortunate in my life and never found myself in the position of having congressionalcommitteess and the Justice Department chasing me hither and yon with pesky questions about this and that. I have, however, found myself in need of legal assistance for more mundane matters from time to time. And through all my decades, not once has somebody come along and said, "Hey, Jazz. We should get a bunch of peopletogetherr to donate money to pay your lawyers so you can get your new will drawn up."

Must be nice. Perhaps we can get together a Middle Earth Journal Tom DeLay Defense Fund program and you readers could all send in contributions to help the Bug Man out? We'd be sure to forward them along to Sugarland. Tell you what.... I'll open up the bidding by donating a can of cat food and a pack of Marlboro Reds. He can use the cat food for sandwiches while the trial drags out, and trade the smokes in prison to save his butt when he drops the soap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice