I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Monday, January 30, 2006

Will You Be Watching the SOTU?

Tomorrow night will be George W. Bush's next State of the Union address. I can remember when I used to watch the State of the Union every year. It might not always be entertaining, or even keep me awake for the whole thing, but I watched, because:

1. He (whoever "he" was at the time) was the president and I felt he might have something important to say.

2. You never know... there might be something shocking, or important or historic

3. It felt like something I was obligated to do as a citizen and to be informed.

I haven't watched one in three years now. I still feel compelled to watch, both from a sense of "duty" and also, as a blogger, I somehow felt that I should see it so I could comment on it. Neither of those reasons, in recent years, have been enough to drag me in front of the television to see Bush on his soapbox.

These are historic times with vastly important events unfolding around us every week. You'd think I'd really have to watch. And this year?

Nope. I'll be playing darts. And that will probably be more of a service to my country than lending an ear to that man. But enough about me. What about you? Will you watch the SOTU? Will you watch the Democratic response from Gov. Tim down in Virginia? Will you do something else entirely? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice