I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Roe VS Wade and Alito

Since I'm not a Rethuglican I can admit that I was wrong. OK, I was wrong a few days ago when I said that Roe VS Wade was not the way to fight the Alito Nomination. While I stand for most of what I said in the post Steve Soto has convinced me I was wrong about using it against Alito.
Getting Alito to specifically answer questions about Roe is important because public opinion will be against his confirmation should he come out against Roe. Today’s Gallup Poll shows the following:
If it becomes clear Alito would vote to reverse Roe v. Wade, Americans would not want the Senate to confirm him, by 53% to 37%.
Which is why the White House will do everything possible to ensure that Alito doesn't get pinned down on Roe. And why am I no longer worried about the nuclear option?
So the Republicans have to convince the Radical Christian Right that Alito will overturn Roe VS Wade but at the same time try to convince the majority of Americans he won't. The Democrats may get some help from Arlen Specter here. He is pro choice and may also want to pin Alito down. This is a potential no win for the Republicans if the Democrats play it right and Harry Reid is showing signs he know how to play the game. Steve gives us a list of Senators who are up for reelection in 2006 along with the public opinion in their states regarding Roe V Wade.
Pennsylvania (51% pro-choice): Rick Santorum
Ohio (52% pro-choice): Mike DeWine
Montana (53% pro-choice): Conrad Burns
Virginia (54% pro-choice): George Allen
Arizona (56% pro-choice): Jon Kyl
Rhode Island (63% pro-choice): Lincoln Chafee
Nevada (64% pro-choice): John Ensign
If the general population becomes convinced that Alito will vote to overturn it the Senators on the above list will be under a great deal of pressure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice