I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Overheard

And then I was sad.

I ran into a pair of men having coffee near my office today and overheard the tail end of a conversation which just started my day off badly. Out of context, this was the portion I caught.
First man: "I was kind of joking, but I said, so you're saving yourself for marriage I take it?"
Second man: "Yeah? What'd she say to that?"

First man: "Just being a smartass, I guess, she says, unless they changed the law and nobody told me, they still don't let lesbians get married in New York. So I told her they sure do let lesbians get married. And she says, no, that's still being fought in the courts. So I tell her, no, lesbians can get married right now. You just need to straighten up from all this nonsense and marry a man like you're supposed to. How long do you think your mother is going to wait to have grandchildren?"
From the follow on comments, I found out that this guy was talking about a conversation with his daughter. I don't know the family, but from his age (about the same as mine) the daughter is almost undoubtedly an adult. And this guy grew up in the sixties and seventies! The summer of love and all that.

I live in a supposedly reliably blue state. These people work with me in the same industry. They are allegedly educated men with advanced degrees working in the IT industry. This isn't just happening in the deep South at evangelical bible thumper meetings.

They're everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice