I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Friday, March 11, 2005

Circles, when the center isn't the center anymore

I will be 59 in a couple of months. I came of political age in the 60's and 70's during the Viet Nam War. I certainly would have qualified as left of center back then. Like many, as I aged I found my political views moderating but I did not feel that the Republican Party was a fit so I registered as an Independent nearly 20 years ago. I haven't changed that much over the last 20 years but the country has. The centrist I evolved into 20 years ago is now well left of the center once again although I'm still in the same place. As I said it's not me that changed but the country. In the late 60's and early 70's I used the word fascist to describe the Johnson and Nixon administrations. Now we see those on the old right like former Reagan cabinet member Paul Craig Roberts using it to describe the Bush administration. The vote by 18 Democratic senators for the bankruptcy bill has led me to believe that I am now an Independent because I am left of the Democratic Party. A daily read for me is LewRockwell.com. Although I disagree with them on many social issues, but not all, I do agree with their perceptions in regards to the neo-cons and the Bush administration's empire building foreign policy. The next big test for the Democratic Senators will be the hearings on John Bolton, a hard core unilateralist as ambassador to the United Nations. I don't hold out much hope. Proudly a registered independent voter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice