I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Dark Days Indeed

I suppose after suitable time for reflection, this isn't going to be all that surprising, but author Hunter S. Thompson has committed suicided. In my younger years, this guy really had a profound impact on my life and "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" was one of the first books I read that has stayed with me all through my life. Hunter will be missed very much.
In "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72," he described the campaign leading to Richard Nixon's re-election as president with terms like "brutal" and "depraved," speculating that Democratic Sen. Ed Muskie was under the influence of an obscure African psychoactive drug and bemoaned Nixon's looming victory by proclaiming, "Jesus, where will it end? How low do you have to stoop in this country to become president?"
Well, Hunter, we seem to have found out now. There's no indication from the family whether or not Dubya's election had anything to do with this, or if it was what drove him past the edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice