I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Thankful for simple things

When I think that I have little to be thankful for I turn to Henry David Thoreau who reminds me of the simple things that are reasons to rejoice.


So here are some words from Henry:
"I rejoice that there are owls. Let them do the idiotic and maniacal hooting for men. It is a sound admirably suited to swamps and twilight woods which no day illustrates, suggesting a vast and undeveloped nature which men have not recognized.
They represent the stark twilight and unsatisfied thoughts which all have.
All day the sun has shone on the surface of some savage swamp. where a single spruce stands hung with usnea lichens, and small hawks circulate above, and the chickadee lisps amid the evergreens, and the partridge and rabbit skulk beneath; but now a more dismal and fitting day dawns, and a different race of creatures awakes to express the meaning of Nature there".
Thank you once again Henry David Thoreau.

Update
After posting the above I went for a walk down at a park near here on the Tualatin River. During my 30 minute walk I saw 2 great egrets, a green heron and the most magnificent great blue heron I have ever seen. No owls, but I rejoiced and was thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice