I put Middle Earth Journal in hiatus in May of 2008 and moved to Newshoggers.
I temporarily reopened Middle Earth Journal when Newshoggers shut it's doors but I was invited to Participate at The Moderate Voice so Middle Earth Journal is once again in hiatus.

Thursday, November 04, 2004

I won't take the pledge

A agree with Joe Territo's decision to not take the Jeff Jarvis Post Election Peace Pledge. I also agree with Joe's reasons:
If a pledge contains anything that you do not believe, you should not take it.

For example, I believe in just about every word of the Pledge Of Allegiance, except for the "one nation, under God" part. Why? Because that excludes people who do not believe in God. Why can't it just be "one nation?" Until it is, I'm not takin' it.

While I like the Jarvis pledge, I cannot accept the "support the President, even if I didn't vote for him" part. There are certain issues of conscience on which I will not compromise.

For example, just like your average Christian Coalition type will not stand for anything less than a complete ban on all abortion, I will not stand for a government that treats committed gay couples any different from committed heterosexual couples. I'm not saying that we have to have "gay marriage." But we should not have separate and unequal rights for heterosexual couples vs. gay couples. (More ideas about that in a later post ...)

So, until you excise that part, please count me out.
Thank you Joe, my feelings exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Nice